As you know, COVID has been around for some time now. We are all aware of the challenges and trauma it has caused to people of all walks of life. People, businesses, countries all felt the impact of COVID. We know it well.
As things restart, we are doing business once again for both private enterprise and for the government. Everyone wants their work done, with a matter of urgency.
Claims of how you come highly recommended are common, along with the other lofty reminders of your reputation - so the marketing seems to work. Then comes the "sob" story of the predicament they are in and why they so desperately need your help. Afterwards the closing arguments of how their situation took up their resources and they will pay you in one/combination of the following ways:
- they want to negotiate your fees downwards
- they want a payment plan that permits installments; which they never stick to
- they want to offer you shares in their business and they are not even incorporated
- they want to pay you on the back end of the assignment
- they even go as far as saying we as a people need to support each other; really
- now there's a new boy, with broad shoulders that took the brunt of licks in the last year - the COVID-19 pandemic [very specifically] got things hard and difficult